2 years in Sydney
When I first announced I was going to move to Sydney two years ago the reactions ranged from “you’re scared of tiny spiders you’re not gonna make it” to people treating me like an attraction at the zoo. Some People were telling me leaving Germany would be tough and other people were telling me it would all be amazing. I don’t know which was worse – but they were both right.
I was miserable that first year in Sydney. Also, I felt free and excited. I was homesick too. But mostly I was terrified. Still am. I am so used to being terrified all the time that the absence of terror terrifies me even more. Or maybe that’s just called adulthood?
What changed during this second year in Sydney? Well…first of all, I don’t start whining about wanting to go back home to Germany every time life gets interesting. I have grown roots here. I’m not going back. I like it here. With Elinlights I have built a network of wonderful people who support me and I can’t wait to keep building on that foundation. There are exciting and wonderful plans for Elinlights in 2017 that I can’t wait to share with you!
- Driving on the left side of the road (yes, still)
- Crossing at red lights (so cliché)
- Lens-hood vignetting
- Talking to people on the phone
- Feeling like nothing is good enough
- Feeling stuck
- Waking up with the husband next to me every morning after two years of long-distance relationship
- Taking Mondays off
- Sunshine almost every day
- Meeting wonderful people every week
- Doing something that sparks joy (beautiful photos of important moments)
- Seeing Elinlights grow
- Seeing myself grow.