What to wear for a portrait session
I often get asked by my clients what to wear for a portrait session. Even if I don’t get asked I always email a clothing guide to my clients. There are many things a client wouldn’t usually be aware of, so it is my job to know what works and what doesn’t. If I work as photographer by myself on a non-commercial portrait session I am not only a photographer: I also have to be an art director and stylist. So here are the rules:
- You must feel comfortable in your clothes. If you feel fabulous, you look fabulous
- Fashion changes every other month, but photos are supposed to be a memory for as long as possible: It is wiser to stay away from bright colours, striking patterns and prints on clothes.
- Black & White, Pastel Colours, elegant fabrics and cuts are timeless and beautiful.
- For two or more: complete couple dressing may not be the best idea, but make sure your clothes match in style (for example “elegant, classy” or “casual, sporty”) and colour.
- Shoes! For the girls: If you choose to wear high heels, please also bring a pair of comfortable flats for breaks in between or walking to a location.For the boys: Thongs (almost) never really look great in photos, sorry guys!
- White pants look great but can be quite sensitive to dirt which can lead to restrictions when it comes to a variety of poses (lying or sitting on grass for example)
- Less is more. Too much jewellery can quickly overload an otherwise beautiful portrait. Carefully select one or two pieces instead. (This goes especially for engagement sessions in which the ring should be the main focus.)
- This also applies to makeup and spray tan. Spray tan can turn out slightly orange in a photo if not carefully dosed. Apply blush and bronze powder only in moderation and very subtle (if at all). Don’t worry about imperfections of the skin.
- Bring powder that matches your skin tone (that goes for the boys and girls) to avoid shininess on the face (which can happen in certain conditions and can look unflattering)
- You must feel comfortable. If you feel fabulous, you look fabulous.